The Kimberley Institute Limited is based in Broome Western Australia and is a not-for-profit organisation limited by guarantee.
As an independent, social innovation establishment, The Kimberley Institute is contributing to the vision of building an inclusive regional society; and transforming the relationship between the people of the Kimberley and the Australian nation.
The key priority areas for The Kimberley Institute are:
- Facilitating strategic research & innovative policy development.
- Enabling forums promoting wider discussion to support political engagement & economic development.
- Engaging in people to people dialogues at regional, national & international levels.
- Supporting the protection & enhancement of Native Title interests in the Kimberley.
- Linking communities with a focus on social, cultural, economic & environmental sustainability.
- Identifying business & economic development opportunities.
The Kimberley Institute’s commitment to building an inclusive Kimberley society is guided by the critical principles of:
- Mutual respect for the culture and ways of life of all people in the Kimberley.
- Recognition of the value, strength and effectiveness of community-generated solutions.
- Opportunities for economic and social participation by all people in the Kimberley.
- Kimberley people participating in policies and industry development proposals relevant to the region and to the immediate north.
- Accountability and transparency in governance and strategy.